What makes you alive?
What makes anything alive, for that matter?
There is certainly an electrical current of some sort running through each of our bodies, but where does that current come from? What makes it enter a body and what makes it leave a body?
Erwin Schrödinger (a Nobel Prize winning Austrian-Irish physicist known for his work in the field of quantum physics) said, “Consciousness cannot be accounted for in physical terms. For consciousness is absolutely fundamental. It cannot be accounted for in terms of anything else.” At the close of his book “What is Life?” He expressed his conclusion concerning individual consciousness, presenting it as manifestation of an all-pervading universal consciousness. He wrote, “You can throw yourself flat on the ground, stretched out upon Mother Earth, with the certain conviction that you are one.”
WHERE DOES LIFE COME FROM?
I’d like to focus on the statement that consciousness is “absolutely fundamental.” As far back as we can go in human history, we find multitudes of people from a myriad of cultures who all believed in a spiritual dimension of some sort. I purpose that it is from this other dimension that the source of all life originates.
When I was a teenager, I attended a small Methodist church and I can remember to this day, a woman who would periodically stand up during the hymn singing phase of service and shout, “Glory! Glory! Glory!” She was so adamant that it would make the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Then the song leader, a man named Willard, would tear up and he would say, “This world is not my home. I’m just passing thru.”
Some people would say that they were just emotional, but I believe they had a glimpse of a higher reality, a place they called “Glory.” Jesus called it “Heaven.” Recently, I’ve heard some people refer to it as the “Vortex.” I think Vortex feels rather impersonal to me, but for someone who isn’t from such an organic background as I am, it might work best. I like Heaven, Glory, Spirit Realm/World/Universe/Dimension, Kingdom of God, all much better. Whatever floats your boat. The point is—there is a reality of infinite abundance, joy, peace, love, and supply that is far superior to this one and the only way to access that reality is to realize that it operates on a different set of principles, a different wavelength, a different frequency.
You could say that we are born into this physical world in a physical body and the longer we are here, the less we remember of our true origin, until we believe that we are the bodies we live in and that what we see here is reality. At that point, we are trapped and enslaved to the rules of this time-bound reality. But there is a passage in the Bible where Jesus tells Nicodemus that the only way to see the Kingdom of God is to be born-again. More on that in a few paragraphs.
In Tla Wilano, an Indigenous American language that I speak, we have term that speaks of all things being connected in a connective reality that surpasses the mere physical manifestation in this world around us. It is universal, but more than that, it is spiritual. All things we see in this reality first existed in that other reality, that spiritual reality.
All things, in this reality, when left to their own volitions, tend toward a state of chaos and entropy, but in the spiritual reality, nothing ever decays or ends. Time, beginnings, and endings are all physical manifestations, because this reality is temporal, but spirit is eternal. Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It has no true beginning and no true ending. However, energy can be harnessed to create, and energy can destroy. Therefore, energy originates from the other reality and animates matter in this reality, bringing life.
We know that energy, semantically speaking, is the capacity for doing work and that work is done when any type of movement happens. When there is no energy in a body and the body no longer moves of its own volition in any way, we say that there is death, or the absence of life, the absence of that inexplicable force that animates. Beyond the mere animation of a lifeform, there is also consciousness. Some life-forms have a more advanced form than others. Consciousness is beyond mere animating energy; it is the awareness of one’s own existence. A conscious being is sentient. Consciousness does not end when the animating energy leaves our bodies. How do we know this? There are literally thousands upon thousands of near-death experience recounts where people talk about being out of their bodies, floating above their bodies, etc. Many of these people were verifiably dead before they were resuscitated and even though you can’t scientifically measure or do an experiment to prove or disprove their statements, reason dictates that thousands of people over the past several hundred years, coming forward with very similar stories, relating uncanny events that they couldn’t have known about naturally, can’t ALL be making it up!
So, I proceed under the premises that there are at least two realities existing side-by-side, and each reality operates on its own set of principles.
WAKE UP, SLEEPY HEAD
How then, do we who awaken to the fact that we are eternal, spirit beings, live in this world while being true to the principles of the Spirit World?
Everything in this reality is designed to trap you in this reality. Our spirits, the real us, are not originally from this reality, so our spirits see the bigger picture. We know that one day a shift is coming (think Biblical account of Millennial Reign and other accounts of such a time from several cultures) that will merge the two realities, but that is for another blog post on another day. Many people believe that here and now is all that’s real. They believe only what they can document, quantify, study, and measure, only what the five senses tell them, what the news tells them, what other people tell them. They have believed it for so long now that they don’t know who they really are. Once you hear the truth, really hear it, not just with your ears, but with your core essence, you awaken to the knowledge that you are a powerful being emanating from an eternal reality.
Remember that whole born-again thing? A born-again person is one who has awakened to this truth of who we are and where we are from, and once we awaken to that truth, it frees us from fear, from guilt, from shame, from all of those things. Jesus also said, “You shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free.” That freedom sometimes gives you a perspective that is not of this world and oftentimes puts you at odds with the authorities of this world, who frequently live by the principles of controlling others. Remember how Jesus told people things that caused them to think freely and that free thinking was a threat to those in power, so they wanted to be rid of him, to cancel him, so they killed him. They thought they were rid of him, but you can’t kill a spirit. That spirit remains and it will infect others and they will awaken and the spirit of Love, which always seeks to liberate, not control, manipulate, or capture, will go on. You cannot imprison spirit energy. You can only deceive people and try to keep them from coming in contact with it, from waking up.
Finally, here are some basic principles of the Spiritual Universe that we start to live by when we are Born-Again (Spiritually Awakened) live by.
- Learn the Rule of Heavenly Currency: The currency of the universe is attention: so, whatever you focus on, you draw to yourself. As you think, so you are.
- Practice the Golden Rule: Treat others as you want to be treated. Want more for them than you do for yourself. Whatever you want for yourself, make it a point to want it even more for others. If you want peace, pray for someone else to have it. If you want wealth, wish for your friend, or your neighbor or someone else to have it. No matter what it is, if you want it in your life, wish it for someone else even more so.
- Live by Faith: Emotionally respond to the things you want, that you wish for, as if they are already here. In so doing, you literally call those things that are not as though they were. You create their manifestation. Whatever is not of faith is off the pathway to the Kingdom of Heaven. If it’s not faith, it’s not God’s way. Simple as that.
- Praise Your Way to Victory: Have a thankful heart, an attitude of gratitude, being thankful every day for all good things in your life. Make it a point every day to thank God and if a thing is lovely, if it is trustworthy, if it is positive and joyful and loving and kind. If it is peaceful and beautiful—give it your full attention.
- Seek Out Opportunities to be Kind: Show random acts of kindness. You never know when one kind act from you might start a chain reaction in someone else’s life. As a teacher, I can think of numerous times when a teacher did a tiny thing that she forgot which a child remembered into adulthood and was so influenced that it sparked a career or a positive life-path. Look for every opportunity to be kind. Will Rogers once said that the best way to get rid of an enemy was to make him your friend. Seek peace and as much as possible, live at peace with everyone.
- Let Your Light Shine: Light a candle instead of cursing the darkness. Wayne Dyer said that you can never solve a problem by condemning it. When you use shame, name calling, put-downs, and blame, you are in opposition to the laws of the Spiritual Universe. If you want to shed light on deeds of darkness and expose them for what they are, then do so without stooping to their tactics. So, no mudslinging.
- Be Led by the Spirit: Does it line up with your inner being? Does it match up with what you know to be true about God? To do this, you kind of have to be in tune spiritually. You must be born-again. Otherwise, you’re not in-tune spiritually.
- Seek First the Kingdom of God (Glory, Heaven, Vortex) and its righteousness (right way of being) and all of these things that people strive for will just come to you by default. Exalt the principles of mercy, kindness, compassion, empathy, appreciation, humility, patience, forgiveness and joy above status, recognition, and power.
- Learn the One Big Rule: love (value, honor, adore, accept, and appreciate) your God with your emotions, your intellect, and spirit and love (adore, value, honor, accept, and appreciate) your fellow human being in the same way and in the midst of loving yourself.
- P&R: Pray and Rest: prayer is asking, so do it and then be still and watch the manifestation travel from Spirit Realm to this reality. Take time to breathe, to smell the flowers, to feel the sun on your face and just be.
by Darlene Franklin-Campbell, 2016
People wander through this life
Not knowing who they are
They push and pull to get ahead
Leave a lifetime full of scars
I hear a voice; it’s calling me
Come, wake out of the dark,
Give yourself to the reign of Love
Make an eternal mark.
Let the Great Awakening
Start right here in me
Open up my heart
Open up my mind
That I might really see
Let me pour this love
Onto every soul I meet
Let the Great Awakening
Start right here in me.
“General Scientific and Popular Papers.” In Collected Papers, Vol. 4. Vienna: Austrian Academy of Sciences. Braunschweig/Wiesbaden: Vieweg & Sohn. p. 334.
Schrödinger, Erwin. My View of the World, chapter iv, and What Is life?